Tuesday, April 10, 2007

"I am better than you" vs "You are worse than me"

When you are away from your home, for considerably long period of time, I think, you think of the home, a lot.
That has been happening with me too, it seems. I have been thinking, about my home, my country... I think, it is also natural to compare it with the present place that I am living. And I have been thinking about what is missing and because of which we are not there where we could have been or everyone of us dreams about, may not say it out loud.

The fundamental difference, that I can think of, is the fact that we Indian have divided ourselves into so many categories based on caste, language, region and we keep on playing the game of "You are Worse than me" game with each other.

The first thought that may come in your mind might be "NO" we do not do that. What are you talking about ?
I am sure you must have come across some bengali, who strongly believe that they are "culturally superior" to all other Indians. All punjabis think that they are "the heart" of country. Many tamils just "refuses to accept" Hindi as country's national language and there are much more examples like that.

We DO NOT say "I am better than others", we say "everybody else is worse than me".
Over generations, we are so accustomed to think like that. This is so automatic and accepted way of being that we do not even realize.

There is a very minor difference when you say the two things. At first glance they may seem to be the same. But there is a huge difference in their impact.
It is very natural for two human beings or two communities to compare with each other. There is nothing wrong or bad about that.

Saying you are worse than me, opens a back-door, it gives me reasons to slack and point fingers on others. I will always find someone, who is worse than me and will give me a temporary relief like releasing hot gas. I may not have to work on making things better or creating a future of fulfilment.

But when I say I am better than you, I will have to make sure that I am better in the present. And I will create a future that this is always going to be that way. I will work hard and in-turn every one in the community, city, state and country will evolve.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

all fundas. basic question is why compare. why even bother about one being better than other.
Why cant life be as simple as i deal with my business only.

Friday, April 20, 2007 10:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home