Monday, January 29, 2007

My First Skydiving from 13,000 Feet

Jan, 27, 2007, 11:45 AM: A bright sunny day. I got down from my car in snohomish valley. It took a 30 mile drive to come here. Pretty relaxed drive but I wasn’t relaxed. Was tense and asking myself if I was sure I wanted to be at this place. As much as there was excitement and anxiety, there was fear and uneasiness of what the next hour or more would get me into.

With the force that got me till there at the very first place and another that kept saying to me there is no turning back, took a deep breadth... one that is supposed to releases the tension... and stepped inside the small building.

The receptionists, after knowing my errand handed me some paperwork to be filled up. She also played a video so that I gained more knowledge on the tech and non-tech of what and how I was going to do. (She was beautiful... but there were other things occupying my mind!)

Moving my pen on the paperwork, signing here and there, going thru the material spent some 15 minutes or so filling up all that was needed and also listening to (and glancing at times at) the video. Some of the writings on that somewhat lengthy paperwork was scary. It easily forced me to think if I should walk out of the place and head back to my cozy bed. I need to go to the restroom. And why are my hands and feet cold.

Finally handed the paperwork to the receptionist ... And of course nothing works without the bucks! Was asked to wait for half an hour or so. While glancing thru the spectacular pictures in the hallway, remembered I hadn’t eaten anything since morning. I spend the next hour in eating/smoking and some worthy time in the restroom.

It was time!... A man called us inside another room... briefing time!
First thing he asked was to ease out, smile... have fun... O yes... tell me about it... boohoo... chill out... took some long breaths inside. Phew!!!

Got inside a queer suit and waited for some others who were doing the same.
Good... I wasn’t alone. We all were walked to the place that couldn’t be closer to the action!... that was it... no turning back now... there was I... standing on the airstrip with the plane with its engines roaring... and a low door open and asking me to get my ass in. So I finally AM going to... SKYDIVE!!! O my Godddd!!!

Felt like pinching myself if it was really happening. Soon found myself inside the plane with my back towards my instructor. The introduction to skydiving is this Tandem jump I was going for which required me to be bound with my instructor who would do all the steering. Looked out of the window where a group of people were practicing their formation that they would go for once in the sky. Like some dance moves, they kept practicing.

The plane was small, had to bend low to stand, and occupied some 12 people sitting huddled together back to back on the soft floor. Soon the space was packed and the door closed... all the people inside were so excited... some cameras started rolling and all our hands went forward with that 'V' in excitement... aaaaaa!!... the plane was soon lifted off from the ground.

We continued gaining height... people cracking jokes and singing songs... (right noe ask me for a song and I would come with something like... O lord... holy be thy name!!)
The view was spectacular... the surf down below got smaller and smaller... and in some time we crossed 6,500 feet, my instructor tols me we are half way thru... aaaAAA! Our jump had to take place somewhat around 13 K… he asked me if I am as nervous as he is,.. well... do I look like I need some humor here !!!!!
I was thinking of asking if I can pay him more to take me safely, in the plane, back to my comfort zone.

At 13+ K feet, the plane leveled... finally... this is it… definitely no going back now…
... get set!!! aaaAAA... My instructor harnessed me tight with him as we both knelt down... door opened... aaaAAAA... the door was slided up to let in the cold air in... aaaAAA... And... ohhhh Nooo!... the green light... No idea what my heartbeat was... I was breathing hard... strange feelings running all over... One... two... three... people started flying out of the door... it wasn’t long when I found myself... at the door steps... memorized the instructions... there were only 3-4 to remember though... oh no... what am I doing... can I have some time... oh... ok... I had some time... the plane was turning... and we were the last ones... all the other were probably shouting like hell... With my eyes wide open I kept staring at the land below... faaaarrrr below... heart still beating... good ... mouth wide open too... it wasn’t long for the plane to level again.... ooooo shitttt!... and... I was asked to lift up my feet... and in it wasn’t long when......... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! ...

Strong cold winds hit me... my heart stopped... why wouldnt it... hollyyyyyyyyy #@$@%... eyes couldnt widen much... there was I, facing the winds with all the thrill that could be offered... Terminal Velocity... 120 mph AAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

After some time (don’t know how much)... I was in senses... and though was dropping down like a stone, all the tension was gone... and I was enjoying the view from those 11-12 K feet... WOW!!... and smiling real hard… I realized this is life, happening right now and I have two choices, be scared or face the fear and have FUN... I choose to have FUN... my instructor started turning one way or another ... giving me those momentary thrills I soon started yearning for... plus giving me the view from all angles...

It was cold too... and I realized I had my mouth open all the while... gasping... :)

Now I had my arms wide open... falling freely... like those eagles seemed to do... but the land didn’t seem to come closer...Great!!! who wanted it to come anyway!!

Hated time to pass by... it should come to a standstill... far down there was the water cherishing half of my view and patterns of land on the other half...

After all of that... there was more to come... To my disappointment, I saw my instructor's hand come out and slowly count... 3, 2... and 1
There came a jerk and I blessed the nylon threads that held me to my instructor... it was too late to look for loosened up stitches on the jacket... my heart stooped once again till after sometime when we came to a stable drag... wowowowo!

There was I, now dangling from the parachute with my feet... hanging helplessly! land still far below... Now we were audible to each other...

Now it was time for some fun with the parachute, again that rush of thrill when he swayed one way or other , or when he increased/decreased the drag ...
Time to get some fundas in air while we came down and down and down ... making loops small and big... I steered to the landing area... the view still unbelievingly spectacular... soon the cars on the highway were visible and so were people who had just landed ahead of us... and wo... some idea of the speed ... we were still pretty fast ... hello!!!

Came to our final straight decent and... wait a second... if we went at this speed and hit the ground... how many bones do I have?? ... oh! shucks... this is undoubtedly seemed to be the toughest part... the land moved fast towards us... hey hey hey... As was instructed, I straightened my legs forward... and then at what seemed to be the perfect timing, the instructor pulled the cords and with max drag... we just smoothly touched... mother earth... Phew!!! ... Damn great!
All it felt on my cold feet was as if I had jumped like from... lets say... 1 feet... ;)

Awesome!! Shouted out loud... deliberately this time ;)... And as I unbuckled and let some blood supply to... wherever it needed to go... (lotsa places I guess)... I just felt SOOO delighted... and light and.... what not... just Great!!! wowowo!

That was 'The jump' of my life... o shucks!... do I want to stop here?!!!
All this was an attempt to put the inexplicable in words! But ... yoohoo! I did it. I survived !!!

To watch the video on YouTube, Click here Or here it is:


This post is inspired by my dear friend Jaatu, who did it few yrs back.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sure is awesome awesome awesome experience.
1. Do you plan to continue doing it?
2. Would you encourage your friends to do it?
3. At what stage was the most adrenaline rush?
4. Was there something about the whole ordeal you did not like?

Monday, January 29, 2007 11:45:00 PM  
Blogger Ritesh Dahiya said...

Hi Anon...
1. I haven't thought about it, so "may be" is the answer for the time being.
2. I am not going to push anyone, but I would recommend all to experience it atleast once.
3. Few seconds before the fall, I was most nervous. and 2-3 seconds after the fall I was most excited that I am doing it. And I enjoyed it.
4. "like" is a function of expectations, I think. So there was nothing that I expected, about the whole experience, and didn't happen.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 12:15:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The video particularly is beautifully taken -- nice - i m sure u had a great time :)

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 7:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that sure is being alive ! nice one ! cheers !
- anshuman

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 8:23:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hurr hurr .. cool life, well written experience!

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 12:05:00 AM  
Blogger Manasi said...

Wohhh...holy mother of goddd....

Man this is awesommmmmmmeeeeee!!!!!!

seeing the video..I felt like singin:

"With arms wide open
Under the sunlight
Welcome to this place
I'll show you everything
With arms wide open
Now everything has changed"

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 8:26:00 PM  
Blogger Jitendra Sachdeva said...

The video was awesome……..I felt like flying with you :)

I will definitely try this, whenever I get opportunity

Friday, February 16, 2007 9:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home